Wednesday 2 March 2016

My Top Five Essential Baking Accessories

Top 5 Baking Accessories
As you and I discovered last week, I am a baking accessory addict. I am far from remission because I am currently searching the internet for my next baking fix. I have collected such a collection of things that I am actually finding it hard to store them anywhere, my utensil pot is full to the brim, crying out for a little breathing space and well, the drawers are crammed full. I feel like I need to build an extension just for my baking things. So, I thought to myself that it would be great to share with you my top five baking accessories. For beginner bakers just starting out, or for the professional baker, this list will help you on your merry baking way.


1.Electric Hand Mixer
Let me tell you this is a god send. I only got one of these for my birthday last year and I use it for all of my bakes. If you can't afford a stand alone mixer like a Kenwood or a KitchenAid then an electric hand mixer will become your best friend. Most cake recipes require you to beat together ingredients by hand and of course if you have guns of steal this is not a problem, but using an electric mixer is easier and quicker, meaning less work for you. It is great for whisking up meringues in no time and beating together sugar and butter.

2.Metal  Balloon Whisk
If you have a wet batter or need to whisk up liquids then a metal whisk is the one for the job. It is sturdy and I find it allows you to get a better grip of the mixture than a silicon whisk. It also has a big 'head' allowing for more whipping of cream etc to create more air in a mixture.

3.Cake Skewer
This is probably the most important tool for any baker. A cake skewer is a simple yet elegant and inexpensive tool that allows you to check if your cake is cooked. Just place it inside and if it comes out clean, turn that oven off!

4.Measuring Spoons
When a recipe wants you to use one tablespoon or half a tea spoon of something, the only tool to do this with is a set of measuring spoons. Before I owned some, I used to use regular spoons and probably not using the correct amount of the required ingredient. With a set of measuring spoons you can get the exact amount by levelling the ingredient off leaving you with the correct amount. Again, one of the most important tools you'll own for baking.

5.Spatula
Spatula's come in all shapes and sizes and not one is wrong. I prefer straight spatulas with no indents as sometimes the mixture can get caught in it, however whatever one you buy or own will do the job. Spatula's are great for scraping the last bits of mixture out of a bowl so you don't waste any, or smoothing down and levelling a cake mixture before placing in the oven.

I hope this list has helped you and I would love to know your top baking accessories!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Little House Kitchen | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig