Wednesday 11 May 2016

Vanilla Fudge

Let me just start by saying you're going to need some muscles to make this, like serious arm burner. Ever since I can remember I have always loved fudge, it always reminds me of holidays when I was young. Like when you go to the sea side, its either rock or fudge? I am and always will be a fudge over rock kind of girl. My mum recently bought be a sweet book, full of recipes for traditional sweets and when I saw the fudge recipe, I wanted to have a go at making my own. I stuck to plain vanilla fudge as nothing beats it, although clotted cream fudge is up there with the best of them. Like I said at the start, you're going to need muscles or a strong arm to make these as you need to beat the fudge non stop for five minutes, so maybe do a few weights and get those biceps working before you start.

Vanilla Fudge
(Makes 16 Small Squares) 
Sunflower Oil, for greasing
500g Caster Sugar
50g Unsalted Butter
170ml Evaporated Milk
125ml Whole Fat Milk
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract

Line the base and sides of a 15cm square baking tin and lightly grease with sunflower oil.

Place the caster sugar, evaporated milk, whole milk and a pinch of salt in to a medium sized pan. Place over a medium heat to slowly dissolve the sugar, staring gently from time to time. Once the sugar has completely dissolved, increase the temperature slightly and bring to a gentle boil.

Place a sugar thermometer on the side of the pan and stir occasionally to prevent the sugar catching at the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook the fudge at a gentle boil until it reaches the * 'soft ball' stage or 155C/240F.

Immediately remove from the heat, stir in the butter and vanilla extract and leave to fudge to cool in the pan for 2 - 3 minutes. Once the fudge has cooled slightly, beat it with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes, until the fudge starts to thicken and looses its glossy sheen.

Spoon the fudge into the prepared tin and speed level with a spatula. Leave to cool completely before cutting into squares.

This will keep for one week if stored in an air right container.

* The soft ball stage: A small amount of syrup/fudge is dropped into a cold glass of water, it forms a soft, flexible ball, that flattens after a few moments in your hand.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Little House Kitchen | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig